Monday, June 27, 2016

To Buy A Collector's Edition or Not?





I remember when I was a young gamer searching through all of my magazines for any information on upcoming JRPG releases I would always come across the collector's editions (CE) from the East. The amount of jealousy I felt knowing that none of these glorious bundles were going to come this way would fill me such sadness. Unfortunately at my age then, even if they had made it this way I couldn't have afforded them anyway lol.

But these sets, they were filled with pretty much useless stuff to someone on the outside looking in. Usually soundtrack CDs, figurines, art, plushies etc. All of these things were standard fare you could find at any convention. Nowadays, more of these sets are coming to the West if not all of them. We have our picks of all of these sets for a wide range of games and to make things more interesting, a lot of Western games are also adopting these sets.

I would say if there is two major differences its that now a lot of these sets contain Downloadable Content (DLC) that used to be obtainable in game. and sometimes a "free" copy of its predecessor. I will probably cover my issue with DLC later but my issue today is when is a getting a Collector's Edition worth it?

This whole topic is probably subjective honestly. Its like, do you like soundtracks and art? The get this set. Do you want to get a rare collectible and DLC? Get this one. I guess my issue is that one, I'm running out of space for all of this awesome stuff and sometimes the CE's don't really justify having a CE at all lol. Just art and a soundtrack? Is that really worth it? I think that the CE's need to be updated to either include more or fit with the demographic. What could they include? I guess all of the above all at once but then I guess the issue would be the price point. Sigh.

Well, I definitely preordered the Persona 5 set and I have no regrets. I guess this is something to think about but definitely let me know your thoughts.

Until Next Time,

DreaPoetic


Source:

Image:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/07/e3-2016-persona-5-us-release-date-collectoras-edition-announced

No comments:

Post a Comment