Tuesday, June 14, 2016

MMORPG Corner: Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn Into Heavensward







So around February of 2015, I decided to try my first MMO which just so happened to be Final Fantasy 14. Mind you, I don't own a PC and as of now have no plans of changing that, but this one was available on the PS4. I had done my research which had led me into the world of Let's Plays on YouTube and Twitch to watch streamers play the game, (I'm definitely going to talk about that phenomenon at a later time), so I could know what I was getting in to since I was a noob. I approached this game like a person who plays single player games and that was a good and a bad thing. 

I was used to playing alone so relying on other real people instead of characters that I can control was definitely anxiety inducing. As a matter of fact, the idea of interacting with real people in a game where people could dissect your play style if it was different was another anxiety inducing thing. It introduces another not so fun aspect into playing games which I wasn't sure I could mesh with. Plus it had a 12 dollar a month subscription fee which I also wasn't sure I wanted to deal with lol. But what the hell right? I went for broke and played it anyway and loved it.

This game is super friendly to casual people, adults mainly, who have other shit to do than play games all day much to our chagrin. It eases you into the mechanics of the game and treats you as if this is your first MMO which probably blew the hell out of people who were seasoned vets. Another thing that is apparently different is that you can level all classes/jobs on one character so there is no need for multiple subscriptions or accounts. Then there was the story, my God if this isn't a Final Fantasy game, and its cinematic, massive and epic. 

On top of all of this, I found out that this game had been released once and was horrible as shit to the point where they blew the game up (all story based) and remade the whole damn game from the ground up. This is probably the only game in history that flopped and managed to recover to a profit. I could be wrong about that and you're free to correct me in the comments if you like.

But anyway, I say all this to say that I plan on discussing this game at different points on here so ill get into detail about a lot more things. In the meantime, I'm going to link a few things for you guys.

Here is the link to the free trial:

The trial is 14 days and lets you play up until level 35 to get a feel for the game. Mind you, you can play this game on PS4, Steam and PC. PC and Steam are different and if you want more details you can definitely leave me a message. 

Here is the link to the reddit for the game:

Now keep in mind this is a reddit forum so be careful as you surf and interact lol. Most of the people are friendly and helpful so be sure to follow the rules of the forum. Also, check the different tabs before asking questions because a lot of beginner things you can find there.

And the last one is this Wiki:


This site answered a lot of beginning questions that I had before I went to reddit so if you're a bit shy start here.

I can't wait to share my adventures in Eorzea with you guys.

Credits:
Final Fantasy 14 game and its images are trademarked by SquareEnix


No comments:

Post a Comment